Friday 22 March 2013

Favourite kit of the winter #3. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Fav kit item(s) #3. My Scarpa Phantom Guides. I had went through 2 pairs of the old version and had no reason not to replace them with a third pair- the newer orange version.
Simply the warmest, most dextrous, comfortable winter boots for weight I've ever had. Stiff enough for ice, soft enough for long Scottish walk ins, precise enough for mixed and fit my feet really well. I'm not sure what they did between the red and the orange versions but the newer ones are substnatially more waterproof than the old.
I've taken them up to 6438m on a bitterly cold day with a neoprene gaiter on top in Bolivia and used them for climbing on their own to 5500m in Afghanistan.
If I had one criticism its that the toe box is narrow and protrudes far enough forwards that when teamed with Grivel G12s or G14s that have seen moderate wear the frontpoints don't stick out very far.


Other than that I'll be getting a fourth pair when this pair wears out.


Yesterday we were overstaffed at West Highland College so I was happy to take a half day in stores sorting and checking climbing kit and reviewing SOPs.
Today its wild out there. 90mph on Aonach Mor and a Glenmore Lodge party came down from the CIC Hut wearing 'full metal jacket' (i.e. full foul weather gear, goggles, gloves and all) and bing tossed around by the winds. Glad I have a day off to sort as it looks like I'm on the hill for the next week!
Winter is a long way from over yet.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Hello Al, your boots are they a similar fitting to the grey Vegas that Glenmore lodge lent me during my week with you in February?

I've still been able to replace the Asolo where the sole fell off!

Alan said...

Hi Matt, the inners on plastics are a bit different to a full leather boot. I'd recommend trying some on in a shop with the sock combo. you plan to use on. Walk around in them, up and down stairs and try to shuffle your feet inside them. Stub your toes on the floor. Look for any undue movement, pressure or tight spots.

Anonymous said...

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness
for your submit is just excellent and i can suppose you're a professional on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.

Also visit my web site ... best way to lose weight fast