Wednesday 24 March 2010

A change of pace for a week





I've done 86 days with axe and crampons of skis on this winter so it was time for a change of pace. On Monday I was working for GOOutdoors who are opening a new store in Clydebank. I was doing some staff training for supervisors of their climbing wall. The shop has an interesting selection of gear at a fair price- including lots of accessories I hadn't seen stocked in large chain stores in the UK such as a big range of solar chargers and oddities such as Petzl's belay/via ferratta gloves.
Now I'm down visiting family in Keswick so yesterday I was out for a dash up Sharp Edge on Blencathra, over the top and back to the house via Latrigg. There were only a few snow patches on the very summit.
Good news the MCofS have given my team a grant for our expedition to the Wakhan Corridor in Afghanistan this summer- hoorah.
The rest of this week I'll be taking it fairly easy (hopefully a little cragging at Shepherd's tomorrow) but from Saturday I'm back out on the hills in Lochaber for 8 days. We'll see what this winter has left to offer!